Monday, March 16, 2009

Creamy Garlic & Cheese Pasta Bake



Yesterday I was really busy and needed something easy to make for dinner and had only an hour. I also had some cottage cheese that I needed to use. So I made something up. It's very simple and good. My whole family loved it. Here is what I pulled out of my hat:
Creamy Garlic &  Cheese Pasta Bake

4 cups cottage cheese (2% or 4% milk fat, I wouldn't use fat free)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
6 cups freshly cooked (cooked until still slightly chewy) macaroni or other small pasta (about 3 cups dry pasta)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.

Cook the pasta according to package directions.

While the pasta is cooking combine all the other ingredients except the pasta and the cheddar cheese in a food processor. Turn the food processor on and let it run for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is very smooth and creamy. You could probably use a blender for this step as well.

Once the pasta is cooked and drained, measure out 6 cups of the pasta and add it to the pan. Immediately add the cheese sauce and stir until well incorporated. Smooth out the top. Top with the grated cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes, taking the foil off the last 10 minutes to let the cheese melt and brown a little.

This is great with a nice salad or steamed broccoli and some crusty bread. I also thought that next time I make it I might add in some sausage or ham. But I like that this dish is vegetarian and made from items you usually have in your fridge/pantry. Enjoy!

1 comment:

loves2spin said...

I made this yesterday for a funeral. I took a little taste and it was very good!