Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fresh Peach Jam


I recently started making my own jam instead of buying it at the store. My daughter has a corn syrup intolerance and most jams and jellies contain corn syrup. I don't want to pay a lot for a little jar of fruit spread or organic jam made with real sugar, so I make my own. It's easy to make a small batch of jam. It just takes some time to cook. It's very fresh tasting, and I like it better than the jam from the store. I make about a pint at a time and after we eat it then I make another pint. My latest creation was peach jam.

Fresh Peach Jam

5 cups fresh or frozen peace slices (skins removed)
1/3 - 1/2 cup granulated sugar (if you like a sweeter jam, use 1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons lemon juice

* You can also add 1/2 tsp. of pure almond extract if you want to try something snazzy.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until the peaches are really soft. Then mash the peaches with a potato masher or a fork to break them up. Continue to cook until the mixture is thick (45 minutes to 1 hour total). Pour into a clean glass jar, let cool to room temperature, put the lid on and put it in the fridge. This is great on homemade biscuits or even ice cream.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Thank you! That looks SO yummy!

Prudent Homemaker said...

Next time you come visit remind me to share some pomegranate jelly and pear butter with you (if you want some!).