Sunday, June 21, 2009

Taco Salad


I've been making this recipe for years. It's one of my husband's favorite dinners. I got the original recipe from the mother of his closest childhood friend. I've changed a few things but it's still just as yummy.

Taco Salad ~

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 16 ounce can of chili beans in mild sauce
2/3 of a 16 ounce bottle of Thousand Island salad dressing
2/3 cup sour cream
corn tortilla chips
1 head of lettuce, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 16-ounce can of black olives, chopped
2 cups of shredded cheese
sour cream for the top

1. In a large pan cook the onions in the olive oil until soft.
2. Add the ground beef and cook until well done.
3. Add in the canned chili beans with the sauce and heat until boiling.
4. Add in the salad dressing and sour cream and heat until hot, stirring frequently.
5. On a plate, layer the chips, meat/bean mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese and add sour cream on top.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Wow! And it's very pretty too! Nice recipe.

Autumn said...

I made it a few days ago and it is good. Jay and I liked it very much but the kids both refused to eat that night. Oh well. More for me!