Sunday, May 10, 2009

The BEST Rolls EVER (Seriously!!!)


I have a love-hate relationship with rolls. I love to eat them, but I hate to make them because they never turn out. I spent Thanksgiving Day last year and that weekend making three different batches of rolls and they all turned out badly. I was so disgusted with my rolls it was embarrassing. I promised my family (and guests) that next Thanksgiving I would make the perfect rolls. I started searching for the perfect roll recipe.

I thought it was me, but it was actually the recipe I was using. It just didn't work! Then, I ran across this recipe on another recipe blog that my friend Kim posts on. This recipe is super easy (you make it in the bread machine) and it turns out perfectly every time. The dough is so puffy, you can't keep it from rising. It just wants to rise.

You can make this using the old-fashioned method, but if you have a bread machine, it makes this recipe so easy.

Perfect Rolls ~
(makes 12 large rolls*)

1 1/8 cup very warm water
2 tablespoons real butter
2 3/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons powdered milk
1 tablespoon active dry yeast

1. Add all ingredients to the bread machine pan in order starting at the top.
2. Set the machine on the dough setting and start (most machines take around 1 1/2 hours for dough).
3. When the dough is finished, form the dough into 12 equal rolls and place into a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan. Brush the rolls with melted butter, cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm, draft-free place to rise.
4. Let the dough raise until double in size, 30-45 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Bake rolls for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

* You can also divide the dough into 24 smaller rolls and reduce the raising/baking time.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Doesn't the plastic wrap stick to the dough in the pan?

April said...

Oh yeah, you need to brush them with melted butter before you cover them with plastic wrap! I forgot that part.