Saturday, May 2, 2009

What to do with leftover mashed potatoes -


I don't like to eat leftover mashed potatoes and neither does my family. I am always trying to figure out what to do with them, and I finally came up with this easy, quick recipe.

Now the thing about this recipe is that it has no exact measurements. Do what you want with it. The first time I made this I threw in leftover gravy and couscous. That probably sounds weird, but it turned out great.

If you have a small fryer, that would be the best thing to use to fry these. I don't have one, so I put a few inches of canola oil in a large pot and cooked them that way. It worked out well.

Mashed Potato Bites ~

The basic ingredients are:

Leftover mashed potatoes
1 or 2 beaten eggs (depending on how much mashed potatoes you have)
Grated Cheese (Cheddar, Colby or Monterrey Jack work well)
Unbleached all-purpose flour
Salt & Pepper to taste (depending on what mix-ins you use, you might not need to season it)

Optional mix-ins:

gravy
cooked rice
cooked pasta
cooked vegetables

1. Put 3 inches of canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Mix together the mashed potatoes, eggs, mix-ins and cheese. Add salt & pepper to taste.
3. Add flour until the mixture is firm enough to hold it's shape and not sticky. Start out with 1/4 cup and go from there. You don't want to add too much.
4. Roll into small 1-inch balls.
5. Roll the balls in flour
6. Fry until golden brown, drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Fabulous! I will definitely have to try that.

The Rowletts said...

These look great. My kids are all about deep fried. Who am I kidding....so am I. I have to pass along this recipe to you though. This is my favorite way to use leftover mashed potatoes. It's on my Puerto Rico ward cooking blog. Sooo good.
http://metrorecipes.blogspot.com/2008/02/spudnuts.html