Sunday, April 26, 2009

For Mint Lovers


My husband absolutely loves mint and chocolate together. For me, it's not that exciting. I adore ice cream, but I won't touch chocolate chip mint ice cream. Mint and chocolate together isn't my thing. However, a friend (thanks Jamie!) gave me a recipe for chocolate mint cookies. I tweaked it, added in some things and changed the amounts of some ingredients. I also baked them into a bar cookie instead of regular cookies. I love bar cookies. They are a lot less time consuming then baking pan after pan of cookies, a few at a time. Plus, I love how thick and chewy they are. These turned out really scrumptious. Nice and chocolaty with a great mint flavor. Even I like them! And that's saying a lot...


Triple Chocolate Mint Chip Squares
~
(makes 48)

1/2 cup real butter, softened
1/2 cup butter flavor vegetable shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure mint extract
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour (spooned and leveled when measuring)
2 cups mini milk chocolate chips
2 cups Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips (or cut up two packages of Andes Creme De Menthe Thins)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter and flour a 12 x 17 inch jelly roll pan.
3. In a large bowl cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
4. Add in eggs and mix until light and fluffy.
5. Add in the cocoa powder, vanilla and mint extract and mix thoroughly.
6. Mix in the baking soda and salt.
7. Gradually beat in the flour.
8. Stir in the mini chocolate chips and the Andes chips by hand.
9. Spread into the prepared jelly roll pan.
10. Bake for 17 minutes.
11. Cool in the pan completely and cut into bars.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

In the time it took me to read the recipe, I gained 5 pounds. :)

Marina said...

Mint chocolate chip icecream is my FAVORITE! I can't believe you don't like it. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll love this!